Friday, March 16, 2012

Paper Mache Letter


My first project is inspired by Challenge of the week over at The CSI Project. I knew I wanted to to decorate using the first letter in my sister, my dog and my own name (A, C, T), I also new I wanted to make something which would be free.

Inspiration found DIY Paper Mache Letters @ Green Zebra Crafts, paper mache letters. I always forgot to take photos when I was making them, so I do have some pictures missing. But the link has a very good tutorial, so check it out!

The first letter I did was C then T. I forgot to take pictures before I made these, but luckily I did have one more letters to complete.


I started by drawing a letter on cardboard. I cut it out and then traced it on to another piece of cardboard. I ended up having two pieces looking like this:


I then cut out long strips of cardboard in the same width. There is no right or wrong answer on how thick they should be, because it really depends on what thickness you want your letter to be.

I then started taping the strips to the side of the cardboard, in a 90 degree angle.




Woopsy Daisy, I forgot to take more pictures after this one. I continued around the sides. Then taped the top to sides closing it up. I then had all the letters complete.


I started by making a paste by mixing flour, water and a bit of salt. I would just say you have to experiment with adding a bit at a time. Then a had strips of newspaper and used the paste to attach it to the letters. I let it dry then put another layer on.


When everything was dry I painted the back and side a dark grey and the front a light grey.



It was more time consuming that what I though, but I loved the end result. Would I do it again? Yes probably some time in the future, but I would not be making multiple pieces at once.

Do you have done any similar projects using the letters of your family members? I would love to take a look, so paste a link in the comment box so I can check it out!

1 comment:

  1. Where did you get the T font from?? Love the T!!!

    http://pantrycook.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...